Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Cake #5-Bat Cake

My brother's best friend, Chuck, is a huge Batman fan, especially the 1960's TV series style Batman, and his wife, Louise, asked me to make him a cake in this theme.  I was really excited to do this one.  First, my brother and Chuck have been friends forever, so I sort of grew up around them.  I got lucky and scored a second big brother in him.  Second...Hello!  Batman!  Adam West!

The Cake:
Two 8" rounds of chocolate cake

The Characters:
I molded both Batman and Joker from fondant which I dyed to match the costumes from the TV series.  



Joker was a little more difficult(of course...), as I had to get the toy gun to stay in his hand. In order to do so, I rested his arm on top of a bowl in my kitchen so the weight of the gun wouldn't pull his arm off.  To create the "Bang" flag, I simply mold the pistol around a tooth pick and used a thinly rolled out piece of fondant to hang on it.  I used food coloring markers to draw the lettering on the flag and food dye to paint the yellow background.  (I don't have a yellow marker.  So I made due with what I had.)  I then took the flag and draped it over the tooth pick, leaving a small amount of fondant to fold over the back.  I then wet the the fondant a little bit on the flap and attatched it to the back of the flag.  This keeps it from falling off the tooth pick.






To tie Batman up, I rolled thin tan fondant and draped it around him.

To make the bomb, I rolled a black ball of fondant and placed a thin piece of white fondant on the top and shred the tip and painted it red, yellow, and black to create a fuse. 

Covering the Cake:
After coating the cake in a layer of buttercream frosting, I rolled out fondant which I dyed yellow and covered the cake with this. 

Using a paring knife, I cut slits into the cake to make what looked like an asterisk.  Then I carefully lifted each piece(which should look like little triangles when sliced) and curled them back.  To keep their curl, I rolled up small pieces of paper towel for them to rest on until they dried.  for the cityscape, I just cut out random building-like shapes with windows, allowing the yellow to show through to create lights on in each building.


Last, I used dowels to hold Joker up in the area I cut out for him, which looks like he is jumping up through the cake, and on Batman as well to keep him in place. 







Stay tuned for my next cake coming Saturday, August 13th.
Same cake place...
Same cake channel... 



No comments:

Post a Comment