Sunday, August 28, 2011

Cake #9-Brooke's Wedding Cake

Words can not express the love involved in making this cake, or the love between the two people I made it for.  Merely being a part of this celebration was an honor.

The cake:
Two 6" pans, marble with chocolate icing
Two 8" pans, velvet with cream cheese icing
Two 10" pans, marble with chocolate icing



After baking the 6 pans, I leveled them off and coated each with icing and covered them in white fondant.  I attached satin ribbon with a little dab of water around the bottom of each cake and secured with a few straight pins to keep them in place until they set.

I left each layer on its cake board to make it easier to serve and to keep the cake sturdy.  I sharpened a wooden dowel with a pencil sharpener and pushed the sharp point down through the center of the cake. Every time I reached one of the cake boards, I gently twisted the dowel to force it through the card board, stopping at the last board on the bottom.  Then I pulled the dowel back out and cut off the excess dowel so that when I replaced it, it would not show at the top of the cake.

"All you need is love.."

I dyed fondant to match the colors of the ribbons and hand cut each word.  Then I used a dab of water to place each word onto the bottom layer of the cake.



Cake Topper:

I used fresh flowers that the bride carried at the wedding to create the topper.  I dabbed a little bit of cream cheese frosting onto the top of the cake in the center to keep the flowers in place.







No comments:

Post a Comment